Taking your medication should be as easy and automatic as possible, not yet another thing you need to add to your mental checklist. There are many products out there that add ease and simplicity to adhering to your medication regimen — whether it’s making sure you take it or make sure you don’t accidentally take two doses — that goes way beyond your mother’s pillbox.
1. Medisafe Medication Reminder: This medicine reminder is a simple smartphone app and one that can help manage numerous people’s medications thanks to multiple profiles. It also tracks your prescriptions and reminds you when it’s time for a refill. Medisafe is a free app for iOS and Android and has received four and a half stars on their respective app stores. It’s the highest rated and most downloaded medicine reminder on the Apple store.
2. Tabtime Vibe Vibrating Pill Timer Reminder: For less than $20, the Tabtime Vibe Vibrating Pill Timer Reminder has five compartments with different alarms that beep and vibrate when it’s time to take your medicine. Just 1 inch high and just over 3 inches in diameter, it fits easily into a jacket pocket, purse, or backpack.
3. Med Minder: It does require a monthly rental fee, which begins at $39.99 for the most basic unit. Some units keep their individual pockets locked, an important feature if young children are around. If you want reminders and mobile alerts, Med Minder has got you covered. The pill dispenser holds four daily doses of medication, and doles out digital reminders — lights, beeps, and phone calls — with its own cellular connections, meaning that it doesn’t need to be linked to a phone line or the Internet.
4. PillPack: PillPack also has a smartphone app that allows users to set various reminders throughout the day, making the whole process of taking your medications that much easier. If you want the dosing done for you and to not even have to go to the pharmacy, Pill Pack’s got that and more.
5. E-pill Once-a-Day Reminder: If you like your reminders analog, and you only need to take one pill a day — such as antibiotics — the e-pill Once-a-Day Reminder might be a good option for you. This plastic dial easily affixes to a smooth surface, like a medicine cabinet or refrigerator. Once you take your pill, you turn the dial to the current day of the week so you know when you last took your medication.